"A wonderful guide for school leaders as they create a contemporary schedule for middle and high school students to take advantage of a variety of curricular offerings. This second addition is comprehensive, with numerous subject-centered examples and detailed specifics for those desiring to move to more advanced designs. It is no wonder why Queen is often referred to as the father of the new block schedule."
-Henry Peel, Wachovia Distinguished Professor
A comprehensive, step-by-step handbook on making the most of block scheduling!
Block scheduling is one of the most popular ways of restructuring the school day, and schools engaged in some form of alternative scheduling have seen significant benefits. This ready-to-use guidebook provides educators with the tools they need to design a successful block scheduling program that results in better student-teacher rapport, more in-depth learning, improved discipline, higher morale, and better grades. Revised to include updated resources and a brand-new overview on block scheduling, this second edition provides:
- Insightful discussions of elementary, middle, and high schools on the block, including an in-depth case study of an ideal elementary curriculum
- Three specific block schedule models, the advantages and disadvantages of each, and ways to find the best fit
- Classroom management and student-centered instructional strategies for the block
- Guidance on curriculum alignment, instructional evaluation, and assessment methods
- Forms and sample lessons to get programs up and running
For educators designing a new scheduling program or needing support for an existing one, The Block Scheduling Handbook is the ideal resource.
(20080709) more >>